The Font

The font is late Norman (1160-1180) and originally stood at the rear of the centre pews in the nave.  The four angel heads form capitals for the lower shafts which were replaced with green serpentine as part of the 1883 restoration.  The lower surface of the bowl is decorated with conventional lily patterns interspersed with four cats.  There is a striking variety among the four pattern facing north, south, east and west.

The Font